Route call to external number

Status
Not open for further replies.

ardyhash

Jan 7, 2021
Hello world,

We have a need to route calls to a calling service after hours. Currently we've setup call forwarding on an extension and anytime we wish to route the call externally we send it to the extension with call forwarding.

My question is, is there a better way? There's some dead air and then the ringing at the remote end, so the caller may hear ringing, silence, then ringing again so its a fairly poor experience for the caller.

Thanks in advance!

voipBull

Dec 3, 2023
@ardyhash I'm guessing you are either using "Time conditions" (automatic) or "Call flows" (manual) to route calls between your business hours VS after hours destination. If that's the case, instead of a extension with always enabled call forwarding, I'd probably create a OUTBOUND destination for that DID that you call to reach your calling service after hours, and use this OUTBOUND destination from the dropdown as your "Alternate Destination" in the "Time conditions" or "Call flows" menu. I hope I'm not misunderstanding your scenario here.

Adrian Fretwell

Aug 13, 2017
Agree with voipBull, but will just add, if you don't want to create another outbound route you can just bounce through the dialplan without creating an actual extension, see image below, this creates a dummy extension 6843 and also allows you to set channel variables the same as you may do in an outbound route:

Screenshot from 2024-07-12 11-42-52.png

Also note the "ignore_early_media=ring_ready", this may be the answer to your "dead air" by causing FreeSWITCH to send a 180 ringing message. See link below:
https://developer.signalwire.com/freeswitch/Channel-Variables-Catalog/ignore_early_media_16353367/

Reactions: voipBull

ardyhash

Jan 7, 2021
Thanks VoipBull and Adrian for the great information and tips. I like Adrian's minimalist approach just as well as VoipBull's recommendation for an outbound destination. Knowing my poor memory and scatterbraininess an oubound destination edited to include the "ignore_early_media=ring_ready" seems like the best approach for my current scenario. Thanks again, you guys rock!

ardyhash

Jan 7, 2021
i guess its not very obvious/possible to modify the dialplan of an outbound destination, in order to take advantage of the ignore_early_media variable I'm going to use Adrian's suggestion of a dialplan entry and take note of it, thanks again!

Adrian Fretwell

Aug 13, 2017
This is where all GUI wraps can cause confusion, not just the PBX you are using.

An outbound route is really just a dialplan entry like any other. I don't use Fusion now but there used to be a menu item called Dailplan->Outbound Routes Here you used to be able to add as many extra lines as you wish.

ardyhash

Jan 7, 2021
Thanks, creators try to make things idiot proof, the world provides bigger idiots, and after some time the truth is lost, that’s why I’m a fan of Django PBX as it’s very purist, I just wish I’d known of it before the users grew accustomed to the fusion UI.

Status
Not open for further replies.