On again, Off again.

Shox

Mar 6, 2023
Hey gang, got a weird situation. One of my customers can't hear their caller for up to 2 minutes in calls. Intermittent issue, but it's driving me wild trying to figure it out. Tried using UDP, updated the firmware, all that good stuff.

It was happening to them on asterisk, and now it's happening on FusionPBX. Anyone have any ideas on what the issue may be?

whut

Dec 23, 2022
networking issues. I would start by having the customer disable SIP ALG on their router.

Test their domain from your network with your office phones being registered to the domain to prove to yourself and them that it is their networking.

Use TCP instead of UDP since UDP has a very limited header size.

Reactions: Shox

Shox

Mar 6, 2023
networking issues. I would start by having the customer disable SIP ALG on their router.

Test their domain from your network with your office phones being registered to the domain to prove to yourself and them that it is their networking.

Use TCP instead of UDP since UDP has a very limited header size.
I'll give it a whirl, thanks!

pbxgeek

Jan 19, 2021
I've seen an issue like this at the data center end. The sound would disappear. You may want to look into switching your hosting.

Reactions: vuthy09

bcmike

Jun 7, 2018
If you can run a windows app from the same location (network) as you PBX get ping plotter (I'd suggest paying for the full version it's the best money you'll ever spend) , get the public IP of the problem phone from the registration table. Ask the customer if they can allow ping, and then run ping plotter against it for 24-48 hrs. Over that period you should see where the problem is coming from. If you can't run a windows app from the same network as the PBX, run MTR from the linux command line.

This sounds like a network issue, not a software issue.

Adrian Fretwell

Aug 13, 2017
Be careful about just blindly switching to TCP. SIP was designed to use UDP for good reason, but does specify the need to switch to TCP if packet size becomes a problem.

In this digital age we can so often overlook the simple and obvious. It could simply be a faulty handset cord or earpiece.

bcmike

Jun 7, 2018
Sometimes TCP can be beneficial if you're dealing with a firewall that has aggressive UDP NAT expiry. Other than that, ya keep it UDP.

Reactions: gflow