If Fusion/Freeswitch ran out of resources

Status
Not open for further replies.

AIC2000

Feb 15, 2018
...what would be the symptom?

If RAM or CPU ran out due to too many calls, would all calls grind to a halt or just new calls fail?

DigitalDaz

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 29, 2016
It usually crashes out badly, if its just a burst it may recover.

AIC2000

Feb 15, 2018
So always important to ensure you have a good 50% buffer in resources then!

smn

Jul 18, 2017
So always important to ensure you have a good 50% buffer in resources then!

That is what swap is for. As long as you have swap you don't need that much in reserve. I sometimes have limited memory on VPS servers with no swap and it's usually not tramatic. A process killer automatically starts shutting things down based on priority. So your webserver may stop working requiring a restart. Freeswitch may stop working.

It's not a big deal other than the fact you don't want your stuff to stop working. Kernel usually doesn't crash. That is what the process killer is for. To hack off limbs in order to preserve the vital organs.

Last edited:

AIC2000

Feb 15, 2018
Yeah I wouldn't expect it to be the end of the world, but would be good if freeswitch said "im at 95% resource so wont take any more calls and provide 403 or busy tone until resource is increased or demand comes down"

Better than everything dying!

DigitalDaz

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 29, 2016
So your webserver may stop working, freeswitch may be shut down in which case you just restart. It's not a big deal actually.

I'm not sure your clients on calls at the time wouldn't think its not a big deal :D

Reactions: AIC2000

DigitalDaz

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 29, 2016
Yeah I wouldn't expect it to be the end of the world, but would be good of freeswitch said "im at 95% resource so wont take any more calls and provide 403 or busy tone until resource is increased or demand comes down"

Better than everything dying!

You can limit this roughly in switch.conf.xml with the max sessions and cps

AIC2000

Feb 15, 2018
You can limit this roughly in switch.conf.xml with the max sessions and cps
Good to know if demand could jump with little notice. I'm guessing just having enough resources for average use + a buffer is a better safeguard.

smn

Jul 18, 2017
I'm not sure your clients on calls at the time wouldn't think its not a big deal :D

That goes without saying. The point is that it's not a hard system crash in my experience. Not sure if the process killer tends to target freeswitch or other things first.

You might also start to get some wierdness like dropped calls or dropped packets.

Status
Not open for further replies.